|Lawmakers Offer Legislation To Allow Importation Of M1s|
|Friday, February 18, 2011|
|In 2009, the Obama administration approved the importation and sale of collectible, American-made M1 Garand rifles and M1 carbines from South Korea. However, the administration reversed its decision in March of last year, deciding instead to prevent these rifles — legal to make and purchase in the United States — from entering the country.As we reported last October, U.S. Senators and Representatives from both sides of the aisle urged Secretary of State Clinton to revisit her department’s decision.
Now, S. 381—the Collectible Firearms Protection Act—sponsored by U.S. Senator Jon Tester (D-Mont.), and its House companion bill H.R. 615, sponsored U.S. Representative Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.), seek to once again allow these American-made firearms to be re-imported and sold in the U.S.
NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox made the following statement in support of the legislation: “The importation restrictions on M1 rifles and carbines was a defacto gun ban. These firearms are sought after by gun collectors as they are a part of America’s history. They are also commonly used for lawful purposes such as hunting, sports shooting and self defense. On behalf of the tens of millions of law-abiding American gun owners, I would like to thank these legislators for their leadership in presenting a legislative fix to this backdoor gun ban.”
“This is a common sense bill that is designed to allow law-abiding Americans to own a piece of history,” said Tester, Chairman of the Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus. “This is a simple issue of making sure that a government bureaucracy doesn’t stand in the way of our Second Amendment rights.”
Under the bill, firearms that are lawfully possessed by a foreign government—and that are more than 50 years old and considered antiques or relics—may be re-imported to properly licensed groups and sold without written permission from the U.S. Departments of State or Defense.
Copyright 2011, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
- Harry Reid Calls Bundy Supporters “Domestic Terrorists”, While Son, Rory, Stands to make Millions off Seizure of Bundy Land
- The Bundy Ranch and the War on Real Americans. – Tea Party Nation
- Obama Nominee For Surgeon General Says Banning Guns Is Part of Medicine…
- CT Police Refusing To Enforce New Anti-Gun Law
- John Lott’s Website: Idaho is one step closer to have concealed carry on college campuses, things look good for the state to become the seventh that mandates public universities allow concealed carry
- RT @PhxKen: TWO NAVY SEALS HELD OFF AN ENTIRE PLATOON OF TERRORISTS FOR OVER 7 HOURS IN BENGHAZI, OBAMA LEFT THEM THERE TO DIE!!! http://t.… 8 hours ago
- RT @PhxKen: THE BENGHAZI TIMELINE STILL DOESN'T ADD UP. WE WANT ANSWERS!!!!!! http://t.co/JrZns14Qib 8 hours ago
- RT @PhxKen: BENGHAZI-GATE WORSE THAN WATERGATE! WATERGATE NEVER COVERED UP MURDERS AND 4 DEAD AMERICANS!!!!! http://t.co/XHGIb9XUiz 8 hours ago
- RT @hankishtwit: “@DrMartyFox: We The American Patriots Are The Left's Obstacle To Complete Takeover: @sixonesixband: @jjauthor http://t.c… 8 hours ago
- RT @sunbeltgirl: MT @RMG1225: #CommonCore ~it has nothing to do with education. Speak out now. http://t.co/G9IYW6vp4E http://t.co/pvouYMre… 12 hours ago