Vulnerability to Violent Crime
* At the current homicide rate, roughly one in every 240 Americans will be murdered.
* A U.S. Justice Department study based on crime data from 1974-1985 found:
- 42% of Americans will be the victim of a completed violent crime (assault, robbery, rape) in the course of their lives
- 83% of Americans will be the victim of an attempted or completed violent crime
- 52% of Americans will be the victim of an attempted or completed violent crime more than once
* A 1997 survey of more than 18,000 prison inmates found that among those serving time for a violent crime, “30% of State offenders and 35% of Federal offenders carried a firearm when committing the crime.”